Concern with home repairTopic: Real Estate Value
Have you heard the stories of the 'Cowboys' who have broken some house by with donít knowing anything about what they were doing have caused thousands of damage and worse the pain to the person footing the score.
By making the right plan and getting on with some of the jobs done yourself you can make a significant increase in the price of your property. You can make thousands by spending less than you think, so really it is up to your imagination and your hard work to see the value of your house increase.
If you have decided that you will be doing some or all of the work then really look at the time you have available and be honest with yourself about how much time you really want to spend with Do It Yourself. If you are looking to employ other people to do the work then also be realistic! Home improvement can be the most expensive thing we spend our money on after our house so make sure you make the right choices ....be tuff but fair!
There really is no point in trying to attempt a job that is really too much for you. If your thinking about doing something for the first time either research it thoroughly or get good help. You will be surprised about how easy some of the jobs you will need to do are. On the other hand don't risk something like knocking a wall down if you know you really don't know how to do it.
Make A Plan Best thing to do is to start to build a plan of what you are going to do. Maybe put together a file that you can add pictures and articles so you can build up as visual representation of what you are going to do. If you are computer literate and like stuff on the PC why not create a excel or word file with all the rooms you are going to renovate in the file. After you must make a list! Write down all the rooms and then write out all the jobs you intend to do. Don't do this from memory, go to each room and look carefully at each room individually and see what needs to be done. You will find it a lot easier to work out where things will go and what small things need to be done to get the perfect room.
Sometimes its best to remove the old before you start, as a blank canvas is a lot easier than working with what you already have. Once you have got the list of all the jobs you propose to do mark next to them whether you can do the job yourself or you will need a workman to finish the job for you. This will give you a clear picture of all the supplies tools etc you will need to get to finish the job.
Feedback If you don't ask people about your proposed renovation your are risking doing something that now all people might like or worse that only 1% love and the 99% hate. If you are thinking of selling later this would decrease and not increase the value of your property. So get on that phone and get them round for dinner, drinks or a chat and get them to tell you what they think.
So start with the most obvious people to give you some feedback on your ideas. The more people that you get feedback from the better. In some cases this will leave you confused about what you are going to do later as many people would like to see different things done. But don't give up heart just get all the feedback you can even if it is 'Why did you buy this?' or 'Your going to need lots of money'. These ones usually push you on to get it right. So listen the negatives and focus on the positive.
Make sure you don't get a cowboy There's really no way to tell if the jobs you commission are going to be carried out properly but there are some things you can do.
1. Always ask for a written quote and never except anything else.
2. Do they seem professional?
3. Ask when they can do the work as most good workmen are busy and need sometimes months to book you in. If they can do it this afternoon worry!
4. Calling you several times to get the order. We once had a plumber who rang several times this indicates a desperate plumber with no business and avoid these people.
5. Not structured - Look for a positive structured mind in your workman. Someone who is looking at a work of art not a quick buck.
6. Do you get on with this person? If not don't book them especially as they will be in your house for a length of time.
7. Late for the appointment - If their late for this they will find no problem in being late for the works so avoid if their late.
8. How many people work in the company - Find out it may change your mind.
9. Are they close? - If they have traveled for 2 hours to see you they are not getting work near them why not?
10. Limited Company? - Are they a Limited Company, Self Employed, how do they run there business?
11. How do they want you to pay - Cash, Cheque, Transfer it also may change your mind ASK!
I wish you good luck in getting someone you can rely upon.
Please provide us with your opinion on this article:
You put the lime in the coconut and drink the artilce up.
Phenomenal berakwdon of the topic, you should write for me too!
Read all comments: 2